Since I first moved to Toronto in 2006, my favourite theatre has been the Bloor (now known as the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema since its renovation and grand reopening earlier this year). And I'm not just saying that because I used to work there, although I can't deny that it didn't help to solidify my undying affection for the theatre. Needless to say, I was incredibly excited when I heard the Bloor was going to be one of the official Toronto International Film Festival theatres this year. HECK YES!
The Bloor is featuring Vanguard films during the festival, as well as TIFF Docs and other programme selections. Variety recently wrote about the theatre's addition to the festival and Ron Koperdraad, Theatre Manager of the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, is confident that "that the Bloor will bring back that old Uptown vibe that the festival’s been missing for a few years now: crowded sidewalks, Rush Line campers, cosy lobbies, the race up the stairs to get that special seat you stood in line forever to make sure you got in first."
If you are still on the fence about seeing a film at the Bloor this festival, I am here to tell you exactly why you should be seeing some--if not all--of your Toronto International Film Festival selections there. Ahem:
1) The new renovation means super comfy new seats on the main floor (I've sat in them plenty and can personally attest to their comfiness), reupholstered seats in the balcony, as well as an all new screen and sound system.
2) If you stand in the new, spacious lobby long enough, you might have the fun of seeing new patrons attempt to walk through the giant, glass viewing window at the back of the theatre. Will they realize before they smack into it or won't they?! Don't worry: there is a curtain that closes when a film is playing, and it is completely soundproof.
3) The balcony: hands down the best place to watch a movie (and make out) in all of Toronto.
4) The staff: some of the best, friendliest people you'll ever meet. And they all love movies as much as you do.
5) This one is specifically for the ladies: new bathrooms. Ooooo, ahhhh. (And if you were wondering who made sure the soap dispensers were at that perfect height, yours truly was consulted by the contractors during the renovations.)
6) They still make the best popcorn in town, as well as offering a variety of tasty treats.
7) Two last words: Liquor license. Oh, you read me correctly. The Bloor has just acquired it's liquor license and will be serving beer and wine along side the aforementioned Best Popcorn in Town.
(Images via BlogTO)
Here is a list of the Vanguard films premiering at the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema:
Sat., Sept. 8th, 6:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Sun., Sept. 9th, 9:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Mon., Sept. 10th, 9:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Tue., Sept. 11th, 6:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Wed., Sept. 12th, 6:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Wed., Sept. 12th, 9:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Thurs., Sept. 13th, 6:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Thurs., Sept. 13th, 9:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
As well, the following Vanguard films will be having repeat screenings at the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema:
Wed., Sept. 12th, 12:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Sun., Sept. 16th, 7:00 PM BLOOR HOT DOCS CINEMA
Check out the Toronto International Film Festival schedule to see the rest of the films that are screening at the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema.
See you at the Bloor!
Post a Comment